Zucchini ki kofta curry(Zucchini dumplings in gravy)

Zucchini name itself makes me feel full already. Its not that I never liked it but after my daughter's birth that was the only option for me to have in my meals as sometimes it  was treated as ridge gourd or sometimes as bottle gourd. Poor me after those times I avoided this vegetable in my kitchen but Alas! in Sweden this is a most easily available veggie so It made a way in my kitchen one fine day. And now since I am quite committed to my taste buds so decided to prepare kofta curry out of it i.e. Zucchini dumplings in gravy.
It tasted good and finally I was able to give a makeover to usual bland looking curry into a tempting dish.



Ingredients:
For dumplings:
1/2 kg or 6-7 small Zucchini grated
1 cup gram flour or besan
oil for deep frying dumplings
1/2 tsp salt

For gravy:
2 tomatoes pureed
1 cup yoghurt
1-2 green chillies
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
1 tsp dry coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1/4 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
a pinch of asafoetida
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp amchur powder(dry mango powder)
1 tblspn oil
Cilantro leaves for garnishing

Method:
Squeeze zucchini by hands to remove excess water from it and add salt to it.
Now add gram flour and mix it thoroughly to get a thick paste kind of consistency.
Add water if paste is more like a dough.
Heat oil in a deep pan on high heat and start dropping the paste with help of a spoon once the oil is hot enough.Fry these dumplings on medium heat until it turns golden brown.
Take them out on a tissue paper so that it will soak the excess oil.
now for gravy,heat the oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, asafoetida, green chillies.Let it splutter and then add tomatoes puree followed by all powdered spices - coriander, cumin, red chilli powder, 1 tsp garam masala, turmeric and cook with lid on till the oil begins to separate from it.
Add yoghurt to this gravy and mix it properly to get consistent texture.Keep stirring till it get blend with masala and season with salt to taste.
Add 1/2 cup water to the gravy as dumplings will soak some water and later gravy will be too dry to eat.
Gently add the dumplings now and add garam masala and amchur powder.
Let it cook for few more minutes with lid on.
Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot with rice or chapati.

Comments